Orange Gnocchi with wholespice brown butter sauce
The recipe is a rendition of the classic citrus pasta made with oranges instead of lemons. Orange Gnocchi paired with a wholespice brown butter sauce, whipped ricotta and toasted almonds.
Potatoes- less startchy- 300gm
Orange Puree- boil oranges multiple times to ensure the puree is not bitter- 100gm
Parmesan Cheese- 100gm
Salt to taste
Whole Wheat Flour- use whole wheat to give a bite to the gnocchi- 375gm
Unsalted Butter- 75gm
Star Anise- 2number
Green Cardamom- 2 number
Cinnamon Stick- 1number
1. Prick your potatoes with fork and roast them at 220 C for 45-50 mins. Grate them once roasted and peeled.
2. To a blender or mixing bowl, add orange puree, egg and parmesan cheese. Mix until well combined.
3. Add the grated potatoes to the above mixture. Mix to combine.
4. Slowly add the whole wheat flour in batches to the mixture. Fold to incorporate. Knead and cover for 15 mins
5. Shape the mixture into logs and cut small 10 gm pieces to shape our gnocchi.
6. In a pan, dry roast all spices and add the butter. Cook until the butter browns and season with salt and orange zest.
7. In another pan, toast your peeled almond slivers and incorporate in some whipped ricotta. Reserve for garnish.
8. Boil your gnocchi in salted water until the gnocchi floats in the boiling water.
9. Toss your gnocchi in the whole spice brown butter sauce and adjust seasoning if necessary.
10. Serve hot